- All submissions must be about either Life on Mars or Ashes to Ashes. Crossovers of those two or with other fandoms are fine.
- All submissions must be submitted with a title. Titles such as "Untitled," "Fic Fragment," or "Vignette" are unacceptable. If your fic doesn't have a title, the admins will make one up for you.
- All submissions must be spell-checked.
- All submissions should be in English. If you want to submit fanfic in another language, please contact us.
- All ratings and themes are accepted, except bestiality and adults having sex with minors (minor: person under the age of 18).
- Real Person Fiction of any kind is not accepted.
- Chapters cannot be shorter than 100 words.
- No plagiarism. We define plagiarism as taking a story, poem, or other writing that doesn't belong to you and claiming it as your own. This is a zero tolerance offense and will result in immediate banning when discovered.
- No abuse. Absolutely no flaming, no spamming, no trolling, and no bashing. Use the review and comment features only to leave feedback and/or constructive criticism.
- Stories may be removed from the site or reuploaded by the admins at their discretion. Admins also may edit your header information to bring it into conformance with site protocols, to aid readers in searching, or to remove profanity or spoilers.
- This site has three fanfic top level categories: Life on Mars, Ashes to Ashes and LoM/A2A Crossovers. Please place your fic in the appropriate category.
- The three fanfic top level categories are locked, so you must choose a subcategory (Gen, Het, Slash or Moresomes) for those.
- Meta and essays go in the corresponding top level category. There are no subcategories.
- Please do not place metafic in the Meta/Essays category. All fictional texts go into one of the three fanfic categories.
Characters, Ratings, Classifications
- If the character you're writing about is not listed, please select the Other option. You should select a maximum of five characters.
- Ratings [thanks to starlaces for permission to use the Cortina system]:
- G - White Cortina
This rating describes fic fit for kiddies, simple, easy on the eye. The type of story where the characters might get a kiss at the end of it, but only in the most disney-esque setting... to the extent that anything set in a universe where people drink a lot, smoke a lot and beat each other up a lot could be thought of as disney-esque.
- PG - Blue Cortina
This rating describes the next level up from child-reading fic. This is probably suitable for teens around thirteen onwards, though it depends on the maturity of the teens. It might feature a quick kiss, grope, cuddle, and in more prominence than the white cortina, but nothing which a normal, well adjusted thirteen year old would take umbrage at. Mild swearing and the occasional thump may also be included.
- PG-13 - Green Cortina
Here, allusions to nice, sweet, mutually fulfilling sex appears. The inclusion of more explicit description, swear words and a bit more bouncing off the wall is catered for. This type of story is suitable for people over the age of 13.
- R/NC-17 - Brown Cortina
Smutty hardcore happy shagging. The feel good PWP comes under this type of cortina as does abduction/torture (I would say mild torture, but I'm not sure thats two words that can go together - grabbing them and beating them stuff basically), kink that is mild and fluffy, more silk scarves and feathers rather than bloodplay and auto-erotic asphyxiation. Happy dirty explicit porn and suchlike! Suitable for 18 and over.
- R/NC-17 - Red Cortina
Disturbing, rape fic, hardcore kinks, hardcore language, twisted and upsetting scenarios. Dark and Deviant. Suitable for people over the age of 18 who like that sort of thing.
- Most of the genres are rather self-explanatory. You may select more than one genre.
- Genre explanations:
- AU - short for Alternative Universe. This should be used when the fic 'verse varies from the canon 'verse in major ways, or when the characters are placed into a new setting alltogether.
- Crossover - please only use this genre if the fandom that is being crossed in your fic is neither Life on Mars nor Ashes to Ashes.
- PWP - short for Porn Without Plot. Should be used for fic that contains just that.
- Coma - one of the main conceits of Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes is the possibility that Sam and/or Alex are each in a coma. Should be used for fic which explores and/or integrates this line of reasoning as an important theme. May also be used to explore other instances in which a coma is a major part of the theme.
- Madness - one of the main conceits of Life on Mars, and to some extent Ashes to Ashes is the possibility that Sam and/or Alex are simply mad. Should be used for fic which explores and/or integrates this line of reasoning as an important theme. May also be used to explore other instances in which madness is a major part of the theme.
- Other - should be used if you can't find any other genre that fits your fic.
- The Time Period classification indicates in which part of the LoM/A2A time span your fic takes place. Use Other for AUs that take place in the future or past.
- Pairing is quite self-explanatory. For any pairing not listed use Other Het, Other Slash or Other and specify the pairing in your summary or author's note.
- BDSM - short for bondage, dominance, submission, and/or sadomasochism.
- Dark - indicates intense, angsty and troubling stories that usually don't end well.
- Deathfic - a warning for fic in which one of the main characters (main characters only!) dies. Killing off minor characters doesn't count. Nor does killing off a character's parent, sibling, or spouse.
- Incest - indicates fic that describes a sexual relationship between siblings or parents and offspring.
- Rape/Non-con - a warning for fic that includes nonconsensual sex or rape.
- Violence - pretty much speaks for itself. Anything rated less than Brown Cortina does not need a warning for violence.
- Please mark your fic complete by checking the "Complete" box next to the rating.
- For episode tags or missing scenes, identify them as such and place the number of the episode in the plot summary. Use the author's note for spoiler warnings or to mention any shows that are being crossed in your fic. (Except LoM/A2A crossovers. Those stories should be placed in the corresponding category.)
- When you're uploading fic, please make sure that you're either using line break tags like <br> or <p> (if you're uploading without the tinyMCE editor) or double space your paragraphs (leave an empty line after each paragraph).
- The story file upload only supports files with the file extension [ .txt ].
- Allowed html tags are: <b><i><u><center><hr><p><br /><br><blockquote><ol><ul><li><strong><em><a>. Do not use html if you're using the tinyMCE editor.
- The software has the capability to chapter fics; and you can also create series, where you link together stories that should be read sequentially. As a rule, use chapters for fics that cannot stand alone; and use series for sequences of fics that, although related, can be read separately.
- For chaptered fic, upload the first chapter of your story and add it. Then go to Manage Stories in your account to add additional chapters.